Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Paean for a New Day

Having kind of a funny moment here. It's not every day that I have little to say. Just reflecting on how everything came together. I went to school for a year, which re-activated my student status, which enabled me to work on a J-1. None of that was planned, or even desirable, but it happened and here I am.

The The - This Is the Day




I'm here because I persist. An aggressive person with vision would be in a different place. I'm a lazy person with a vague dream, but I also have a canny ability to Make It Work. And yet I don't know how it will work -- I'm not sure it can, sans citizenship. But I'll try.

I'll try because I can't not. I have a life to make, and I only get one. I have good parents that think critically. I have never left a dinner table discussion with fewer angles considered.

I have so much love around me.

That means you too, dear reader.

A new job. A new car, or at least "new" in the "I didn't own it last week" sense. A daunting departure. This is what I wanted, right?

I don't even know how enthused I am about this job. It seems a bit vague and detached from the 'thrill of victory/agony of defeat' kind of politics that I crave, but it should also give me a terrific opportunity to interact with other departments and hone a new skill set.

It will let me travel, see Middle America, learn from my experiences. I miss talkin' folksy, ain't that the truth. I will have to capture my positivity again, which is easy at first but tends to attenuate. I'm sure I'll want to dunk an activist or ten in the Gulf of Mexico.

Things have a funny way of working out, or so you're always told. Does this count as working out? No. Is it treading water? Nope. Definitely not.

This is progress.

Some two years ago, I left home. For good, it seemed. I'd move on from Election 2008 to law school, happily typesetting my Californian experience when my résumé comes rolling out of the LaserJet. But that was supposed to be it. Of course, a funny thing happened. I fell in love, in so many ways, with Northern California. With rurality, with simplicity of purpose, with clarity of mind, with fullness of heart.

And so I'm back to leaving, but it's different this time.

There is progress in sadness. This is a new day.

Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir - Go Back Home

No comments:

Post a Comment